Most people associate town of Munich with certain things: Oktoberfest as well as the infamous Olympic Games incident. Both of these are accurate associations, albeit one of them is a fairly infamous one. But there are many things to do to see in Munich. If you?re planning a trip to the main city city of Bavaria, here are six things that you must see while there.
1. Marienplatz. What better starting point than the center of town? The Marienplatz could be the geographical center of Munich. In medieval times that's where the markets and tournaments took place. Today it will be the home of the Mariensaule, a statue of Mary that has been erected to commemorate German independence from Swiss occupation in 1638. The Glockenspiel chimes your hours and entertains visitors with its moving clockwork figurines that depict events from Munich?s history. Spend your time strolling in and out from the shops that line the Marienplatz, or visit a streetside caf? to sample a neighborhood dish.
2. Nymphenberg Palace. Built within the 17th century, this beautiful estate was the key summer residence for your ruling category of Bavaria. It is similar in design and layout to Louis XIV?s Palace of Versailles beyond Paris but is less grand. Nymphenberg is just one of Munich?s most popular tourist sites, with more than 350,000 visitors each year. One can stroll with the gardens from the palace or tour the outer stables and some inner rooms in the estate.
3. Dachau. Although Dachau is of a drive from the city of Munich, it?s definitely worth paying a visit to. Dachau is one from the oldest Nazi concentration camps from World War 2. It was also one with the first being liberated by Allied forces in 1945. Many in the barracks that housed the prisoners are actually torn down, just some remain and are open for individuals to tour. There can be a dramatic film presentation website given in the main hall with the camp that also includes actual footage through the camps daily operations and liberation. Guard towers, oven chambers, as well as the infamous ?Brausbad? chambers continue to be standing which enable it to be freely toured.
4. Hofbrauhaus. Munich gets its name in the monks that lived in monasteries nearby. The name comes from the old word ?Munichen? this means ?the place with the monk?. These monks were famous for brewing of ales and beer. In fact, soon the monk?s brew took over as the most desired beer in every of Bavaria along with the brewing tradition has continued since that time. One of Munich?s most famous breweries may be the Hofbrauhaus, that was frequently visited by Hitler when he stopped in Munich. Guests can tour the brewery in addition to sample local brews and get beer through the liter.
5. Oktoberfest. If you are going to be in Germany in late September or early October you absolutely must visit Oktoberfest. If you are planning a trip to Germany but don?t yet know what time of year to visit, plan your trip to coincide using this type of festival of festivals. The Oktoberfest is one in the oldest cultural festivals in Europe. Traditionally, Oktoberfest is a huge celebration of Bavarian culture, including oompa bands, local beer, and local fare like weisswurst, steckerlfisch, and obatzda. By far the most important part in the festival could be the beer tents, that happen to be set up from the many German brewing firms that sponsor the big event.
6. Allianz Arena. The one thing that Germans love as much as their beer could be the football. FC Bayern Munchen will be the local team of Munich. The team accustomed to play at the old Olympic stadium, but recently Allianz Arena was built as being a new home for your team. FC Bayern competes within the Bundesliga and is one of Germany?s most successful football franchises. If you are a sports fan of any type, nothing rivals the atmosphere of the FC Bayern home match at Allianz Arena. Maybe you can join in the crowd?s enthusiastic cheer of ?Stern des Sudens!?
If you've got found the above mentioned information useful, please stop by our website and see how else we could help you. Visit for more help booking your visit Munich and also other destinations. Our company, EROS Travel Incorporated, can be a travel agency that has been in the business for 28 years which is based in Los Angeles, California. We are an online search engine that gives cheap airfare tickets, and now we specialize in finding deals on very last minute travel.Article Source: